Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Banana Bread


If ever there was a ringing endorsement of food, it would be the disappearance of my banana bread in the office. Not technically myyyy banana bread, since it's another AllRecipes gem. Still. Time to disappear: one hour flat.

Super easy (made it this morning so I could bring it in warm). Super super easy.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter: I use real, honest to goodness butter. Tastes better.
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar: I had less sugar in the cabinet this morning, so that's what I went with
  • 2 eggs, beaten: I dumped these on the butter/sugar mixture and "beat" them in there.
  • 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas: I go for as rotten and overripe as I possibly can. I am in the habit of freezing overripe bananas for smoothies, so when I don't have enough "fresh" overripe bananas I nuke some of my frozen banana.

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and beat that together, then add mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten (over stirring makes it rubbery and that just sucks!). Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes (63 minutes for me), until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Please note: 
This recipe rocks for its simplicity, and its flexibility. You can add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever you think might taste good. You can also make it into muffins (more like cupcakes if you go the chocolate chip route ehehe), just adjust the bake time to about 25-30 minutes (for a dozen).

No comments:

Post a Comment